Our agency has been at the heart of the Rancho Santa Fe community from its early days. Long ago, absent a local "city" government, the Fire District was called upon to perform a wide variety of tasks and served as a central hub of information. Today, we strive to continue providing that connection throughout our community.
The Rancho Santa Fe Fire Protection District is governed by a five-person, elected Board of Directors. The Fire Chief is charged with managing the District while a Deputy Chief oversees the Operations Division and the Training Officer supervising the training of staff. Supervision of fire suppression activities is performed by each of the three Battalion Chiefs on 24-hour shift basis. Fire suppression staff work three or four firefighters per shift out of each of our six fire stations. We also employ full-time fire prevention staff, including an urban forester, a public education coordinator, and administrative personnel.
The Rancho Santa Fe Fire Protection District is approximately 50-square miles and protects approximately 33,500 people. The communities served by the District are diverse, ranging from large estate homes and ranches to high density housing tracts, commercial centers, and industrial parks.
What the Fire District Can Offer You
The District goes beyond managing fire prevention, major fire incidences, and fire assistance partnerships. We provide "all risk" emergency service, responding to over 3000 calls each for fire, medical, rescue, hazardous materials, and public service calls.
The District also provides automatic aid to surrounding jurisdictions via boundary-drop agreements and as part of the State of California's Master Mutual Aid Agreement.
Whether you are providing a fire company inspection to a business, a residential fire safety inspection to a homeowner, or tending to a victim of a traffic collision, each member of our team is charged with providing the assistance needed to our citizens. The District is highly committed to seeing that all of our community is treated quickly, effectively, and with care.
As a recruit you will have the opportunity to work alongside some very motivated, highly creative people and deliver unique services to a very diverse community. The fire service is an extremely satisfying career, one that has many opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Medical-related incidents make up more than 75% of our responses and traffic collisions/rescues are on the rise. We also have a very large Urban/Wildland Interface area which continues to provide concern for the District and the community. On all emergency/service calls, we require our staff to deliver the highest level of "customer service."
Under the direction of a Company Officer, firefighter/paramedics are responsible for performing a number of duties typical of most fire departments/districts.
- Responds with assigned unit to all fires, rescues and other emergencies to which they may be assigned, detailed or summoned and performs related duties as assigned.
- Participates in operating equipment, laying hose, applying water and other firefighting activities.
- Participates in operating equipment, taking vital signs, applying bandages, and other procedures at medical emergencies.
- Maintains district provided EMT-P certification as required by state law.
- Maintains vehicles, equipment, tools, facilities and premises in a neat, clean and safe manner.
Participates in drill and classroom training activities as assigned.
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of records, reports and files necessary for the operation of the district.
- Participates in fire prevention inspections, hydrant testing/maintenance functions and other assigned projects, programs or assigned duties, whether of a routine or emergency nature.
- May be required to make fire and burn prevention presentations to schools, service clubs or other public gatherings.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To see what positions we currently have open, including becoming a volunteer firefighter, please visit our Current Job Openings page.