Ordinances and standards are adopted by the Fire Protection District's Board of Directors. These requirements have been designed to protect you, your environment, and your property from fire and other major disasters.
The ordinances and standards listed on this page are in PDF format. To view these files, you may need to download Adobe Reader
- Ordinance 2017-01 Fire Code (pdf) – 2010 California Fire Code with Amendments, including wildland requirements
- 2017 Consolidated Fire Code (pdf) – This Consolidated Fire Code includes the County amendments to the 2007 California Fire Code and the ordinances of the 16 unincorporated County fire protection districts.
- San Diego County Code Amendments (pdf) – Amendments to the county building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and fire codes.
Fire Prevention Requirements "At a Glance" (pdf) – provides a quick run-down of some of our most common fire prevention issues. For more detailed information about fire prevention requirements, please refer to our specific Fire District Ordinances and Standards listed below.
- Fire Sprinkler Standards - General (pdf) – outlines the Fire District's Residential Fire Sprinkler Policies regarding design criteria and plans submittal, as well as water source, riser and alarm bell information.
- Sprinkler Contractors Phone List (pdf) – list of sprinkler contractors who have done work in Rancho Santa Fe.
- Ignition Resistant Eave Construction (pdf) – outlines guidelines for eave construction and materials.Please note: Residents served by the Rancho Santa Fe Fire Protection District are subject to the "Enhanced" fire-resistive construction requirements.
- County Approved Construction Materials
Knox® Switch Requirements:
- All automatic gates across fire access roadways, including driveways, must be equipped with an approved emergency key-operated switch overriding all command functions to open the gate. Automatic gates must meet RSF Fire District policies, deemed necessary by the Chief for rapid, reliable access.
- Complete Knox® Switch District requirements
- List of Knox Key Switch Installers
ATTENTION KNOX APPLICANTS: You may apply for a Knox Switch online. Instructions for applying online can be found here.
- Palm Tree Requirements (pdf)
- Vertical Clearance (pdf)
- Propane Tank Requirements (pdf) – Outline California Fire Code requirements for propane tank use.
- Special Events (pdf)
- Applications for tents and canopies can be obtained at our Administrative Office or by calling 858-756-5971.
- Fire Access Road Requirements (Includes driveways & roadways) – Outlines fire district requirements for fire access road width, as well as additional requirements for district-approved turn arounds and turn outs.
- Ordinance 2015-01 (pdf) – defines vegetation management requirements, as well as the abatement of weeds, brush, and other potential fire hazards.
- Landscape Contractor List (pdf) – list of landscape contractors who have done work in Rancho Santa Fe.
- Plant and Landscape Guide (pdf) – Suggested plants that meet the RSFFPD's landscaping requirements.
- Palm Tree Requirements 2008 (pdf)
- Vegetation Management Contractor List (pdf) – list of vegetation management contractors who have done work in Rancho Santa Fe.
- Ordinance 2017-01 Fire Code (pdf) – Portions of the CA fire code relate to adopting the International Urban-Wildland Interface Code, 2006 edition, regulating and governing the mitigation of hazard to life and property from the intrusion of fire from wildland exposures, fire from adjacent structures and prevention of structure fires from spreading to wildland fuels in the Rancho Santa Fe Fire Protection District.
- County Wildland Fire Protection Planning Consultants (pdf)
- Builders Wildfire Mitigation Guide
Information compiled by UC Berkeley on how to make your home more fire safe.
- SRA Fire Safe Regulations (pdf)
California Board of Forestry's basic wildland fire protection standards
- Wildland/Uran Interface Demonstration Building
A demonstration structure built at UC Richmond Field Station to demonstrate various aspects of wildfire exposures.
- Wildland/Urban Interface Development Standard Guidelines (pdf)
- Family Day Care Requirements (pdf)
- Fire Rebuild Conceptual Policy (pdf)
- Fire, Brush,and Building Information for Municipalities and Fire Protection Districts in the County of San Diego
From the California State Fire Marshal's Office (Please note that RSFFPD ordinances and standards may be more stringent than those represented here.)
- Wildland-Urban Interface Code Information
- Exterior Construction
- Roofing Standards
- Ventilation Standards
- Wildfire Protection Building Construction
National Fire Prevention Association Wildfire Research Fact Sheets
For answers to your basic questions about our ordinances and standards, please contact us via email. If more in depth information is needed please call us 858-756-5971 and make an appointment. Thank you.