The Rancho Santa Fe Fire Protection District requires all residential, commercial, and multi-family projects to submit landscaping and fuel modification plans to the District for approval. The Fire District has learned that certain plant species are more flammable than others. Applicants are required to submit three sets of plans, preferably by a licensed landscape architect. All landscape plans will be returned to the applicant, since the Fire District does not retain hard copies.
The landscape plans require at a minimum include the following criteria:
- Provide plans with a readable scale.
- Show the fuel modification zones with a general description of each zone’s requirements.
- Describe and show existing vegetation on the property.
- Designate irrigated areas on the plan.
- Include a plant legend with both botanical and common names for existing and proposed plant material.
- Pick a unique symbol for each planting material being proposed.
- Define all symbols and shaded areas, etc. used on the plans.
- Include quantities of trees and large shrubs being proposed.
Schedule a Landscape Inspection
If you would like to schedule a final landscape inspection, please Email: Scheduling@RSF-Fire.org and include the following information:
- Fire District’s plan check number
- Project Name and Address
- Type of inspection/meeting needed (Landscape)
- Contact information
Landscape Contractor List (PDF)
Landscape Plan Check Correction Form (PDF)
Plant & Landscape Guide (PDF)